In 2021, Love Like Jackson created grief bags filled with books, art supplies, and information for families in their time of need. These bags are distributed to local care centers.
Each bag comes with books recommended by our therapists who specialize in children’s grief. There are two books for grieving parents and two books for grieving children. The value of each bag is $40 to create. This price totals from the books and art supplies.
While these bags include books for children in the elementary age group, we are constantly reviewing new books that can be provided to older children and teens. In the future, we hope to curate bags specifically for age groups.
Our goal for 2022 is the distribution of these bags to as many places as possible around the Greater St. Louis area. Thank you for your contribution.
Finding the Words by Alan Wholfeit is a great resource that discusses how grief is experienced through each age group. There are tips on how to talk to your children about death according to their age. Not only does this aid with sibling loss but any death by giving insight into child development and understanding.
Healing a Child’s Grieving Heart is another Whofeit book that lists 100 practical ways to companion your child on their grief journey. It lists age-appropriate activities that can help families understand and engage with one another.
In addition to this activity book, there are art supplies such as watercolor paints and washable markers. There’s a small sketchbook for artwork and thoughts. Art is an excellent way to communicate and connect with our emotions.
The book Someone I Love Died is a children’s book that can be personalized to the person who has died. It comes with additional tips on how to talk about death. It is a book that I wished was in my own library when our family lost our son. It’s a great addition to any home library.
Lifetimes is an essential book for every family. It doesn’t matter if your children have experienced loss or not.
There is also a folder with additional book suggestions, therapists, and services. There’s information about the Love Like Jackson community with ways you can further connect.
Where can the bags be found?
- Friends of Kids with Cancer
- BJC Hospice
As this campaign grows, it is our goal to have grief bags accessible in as many places that these resources are needed. If you’re interested in having grief bags at your location, please contact us here.
How can I help?
- Consider sponsoring 10 bags per health center through your business
- Provide books and supplies with a one-time donation.
- Your organization would like to distribute bags to your clients and families.
- You would like to be an on-going partner with Love Like Jackson, providing grief-related services for children.
- Refer an organization to us that would benefit from grief resource bags being at their location.
- Donate bags for known families and children who are grieving.
- Give a one-time donation to materials.
- Donate to have bags sent to a specific support service, (i.e. Annie’s Hope, Camp Courage).